Sunday, September 13, 2020

2020 update

 I have not worked on this blog in years. I leave it up because it documents history. Some of my comments are outdated and not accurate. I only posted the stories that I was told. That is why I left the comments sections on each bar open so people could chime in with their thoughts/opinions. There still are a lot of bars I could list that I never got around to I know. The Gold Coast is closed, what is left? The gay bar is dead but for a few. I have discovered an alternative to the gay bar, the gay campground. Gay campgrounds are much like the old gay bars, you have a sense of community and you can see your friends every weekend. My favorite is Campit  in Saugatuck, MI. (Actually it is in Fennville) 







7 comments:

  1. I've been to Camp It several times this summer. I find everyone to be very friendly. Thanks for starting this blog. It's fun remembering all of the old bars that I used to go to. I'm sure it was a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, people are still reading this blog. Thank you for keeping it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU FOR KEEPING THIS BLOG ALIVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of such places, I WANNA FIT IiiiiiiN.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all of this history, Chris!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Chris, Old Gay here, used to live on Cadillac Square back in the late 70's. Have lived in Toledo since 1982. A few memories on downtown gay bars, La Rosa's was on corner of Bates and Farmer, to the right of the old Checker Bar behind Cadillac Tower. It was a Black Drag/Trans bar, very popular, had shows. Every Halloween, a drag parade would start there, head towards Cadillac Square and go around it while thousands of secretaries, lawyers, bankers, and politicians stood and clapped or joined in, it was great fun for all. The Famous Door was another mainly Black Drag/butch clientele, very popular, large bar as I recall. The R&R Saloon on Michigan Ave was a popular leather bar back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, great back room/patio action as I recall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for doing this blog. I check it out every few years and really enjoy reading about the good old days. I came out in 1977 and just turned 70.

    ReplyDelete